About Me

My photo
Boston, MA, United States
Free lance Chef. A Middlebury, Vermont native, Chef Jon Sargent worked his way up through the ranks of kitchens starting as a dishwasher. His career in the kitchen has taken him across the country and back. Sargent moved to Boston first in 2005 where he helped open OM Restaurant | Lounge in Harvard Square, working under chef Rachel Klein. He then headed west to Wisconsin, taking a Sous Chef position at Stout's Island Lodge. Next he headed south, travelling to Naples Florida to work for the D'Amico Corporation with chef Andrew Wicklander. Back in Boston chef Jon worked as chef d' cuisine for Chef William Kovel at 28 degrees in the south end of Boston where he worked diligently on the restaurant's seasonal, globally-influenced menu. After taking up the ranks as sous chef at Catalyst restaurant in cambridge massachusetts, Jon has been on a journey of developing his style of cooking, and focusing on the development of his own restaurant.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Roasting whole pigs head

Well it is apparent that I need more practice with this as I did not allow my self enough time to finish the cooking of the head today! I have had it in the oven for almost 6 hours at 350 degrees mostly covered and it still has a while to go. But on the other hand it does smell delicious and looks great so I’m on the right track. So far what I have done with it is, burned off all excess hair from the pigs head, made incisions and packed garlic into every spot allowed even in the eye sockets. I prepared a rub from 9 spices. Fennel, cinnamon, coriander, caraway, black pepper, alepo, cumin, cayenne, and ginger. This I then made into a thick paste by adding half of my seasoning to a pepper paste called aji Amarillo. Once incorporated into a paste I rubbed it into the pork on all exposed meat faces. I slit some of the fat between the skin and meat to create deep pockets where I proceeded to pack this paste into. I cut mirepoix and added tomatoes and 2 heads of garlic. About 1 ½ quarts of veg stock placed the head into the oven covered with foil and slit down the middle for the nose to poke out through. This is where Im at. Im thinking of doing a deconstructed el Salvadorian Papusa, ralleno style with Columbian and Peruvian influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment